Monday, April 4, 2011

I love MSD

And it is not an empty declaration!! I really do. :))

About 2 days late, this post. but the revelry is still on!! And how!!

What a feeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The most awesome, the greatest feeling ever. Am I emotional?   of course I am. I also shed a few tears along with Yuvraj, Dhoni and Sachin!!!!!! As Knife said, in 1983, I was too young to appreciate what we got. And now at 32, I am beyond words. And I am so glad to have witnessed this piece of history in my lifetime.

Of course,we had it coming. We all knew in our bones, it is going to happen. We were the test champions, the T20 champions.. world cup the only one that eluded us. It had to be this year - we all knew, deep within us.. a bit scared to mention it aloud, in case we cast our evil eye on the team! God Forbid.

Coming back to the matter, oops, person at hand.. MSD!!! He is the person who needs to be credited with the win.. of course the entire team came together, fielded well, everyone contributed.. but ultimately, under his leadership. In the entire world cup series, unlike many others, we all did not depend on Sachin or other one of two players. Every person has done well across games. There is no one who has not performed.. except Sreesanth (well, I cant stand him!!!) .. this could have been only possible under a great leader.

In fact, I would go out on a limb and say this - even if he hadnt made 91, we would have won.. and I would still credit him with the victory!!

He has been the most dynamic leader of our times. Everyone will follow him to the end of the world, thats the kind of a leader he is. Accepting responsibility for what went wrong, understanding his mistakes and correcting them immediately instead of pandering to his ego, taking decisions crisply without hesitating, without paying heed to billions of opinions, standing by his players, trusting them and giving a second chance to those he believes in. 

He epitomizes what is talked about in terms of leadership abilities, leadership values in every organisation. It is very weird but as I get into a semi-leadership kind of a role, I know what I lack when I look at him in the commanding position. I have been thinking I am damned good. But when my leaders said, I am not ready yet, I kind of know what exactly they mean when I look at Dhoni. You may laugh at the comparison, but I am perfectly serious. Theres so much to learn from him.

Of course, I agree with Scarlett when she says that seeds of this win, rather this world champion tag, were borne by Ganguly. Till then, Indians did not know an aggressive captain!! He demanded, didnt feel sorry about anything, didnt care what others said, sledged the aussies as much as they did, nudged everyone, brought the team together!!

Hats off to both of you!!

If it were not for Dhoni (as a captain), I am not sure if we would have won. Scarlett had said, immediately after we won the cup " I know whats your next post gonna be - a devotional post on Dhoni"!! Lol.. so Scarlett, there you go :)

He is the hero of billions, he is where we all aspire to reach someday in our line of work.

A little on Sachin too - Virat Kohli hit the nail on its head when he said, Sachin has carried the entire nation on his shoulders for 21 yrs, its time we take it up now! And that is so true - game after game, for so many yrs, we have depended only on him. I am so happy we won the cup now, that he is still playing.

And the gen next - Virat Kohli & Suresh Raina - level headed, more than capable, no fear in the world. They are going to script the brilliant future that Indian Cricket is bound to have.

Next captain to take on the mantle from Dhoni many years from now - Virat Kohli. Watch my words.


5 comments:

Scarlett said...

Hey hey hey! I second you on Virat Kohli...he's India's future. He'll be our next captain :)

Raina & Gambhir are very talented too but Kohli has that spark in him. And he's your home boy! No wonder you love him so... :)

The only person in the team who I feel shouldnt have been there the night we won the Cup is Sreesanth!!!!! Thank God we won inspite of his presence.

Moonshine said...

"My Home Boy"!!!! OOooh la la...

lol. I wish. He is a bright spark for sure. And in contrast, Sreesanth the most annoying person around. I wish it were Nehra or Ashwin instead of him. Apparently, Gavaskar said, hes quite lucky for us!!! Bleh...

Ru. said...

:) what a great piece of history we witnessed :)
I love MSD...was a bit disappointed the way it became Sachin and Sachin and Sachin after the win...But Dhoni being the true leader stepped back with such dignity, my respect for him only grows day by day :)
He is a real good gift to Indian cricket!

Moonshine said...

@melee Seriously!!! He has grown from strength to strength and is very gracious and accepts mistakes!!!

the-mommie said...

Very well said! N I so totally agree with you! Al through the days leading unto the tournament, I had repeatedly declared my undying affection for Sachin and said exactly what everyone was saying - they better do it for Sachin this time!

But all through the tournament, having watched Dhoni work his magic was just a superb experience! N that match against Pakistan was just Godliness! His composure throughout and for every interview before and after were superlative, to say the least.

And that final shot in the finals - uuuuuffffffffff! He's just totally a hero! Did you see the slow motion replay of him in that shot? That final flick of his wrist when the ball sailed over into the stands, was the perfect end to a fantastic tournament!

I LOVE that Sachin has the world cup win as part of his career but I'm more in love with the fact that the team has finally come together in such a perfectly cohesive way at the right time. All credit to MSD and not to forget, Gary Kirsten!

For the finals,