A bit too much is for all the cooking that I did on Monday!!
I was very enthu ...Monday being an off!!! My onam dishes have been progressively decreasing since the last 4 years - what started as 4-5 dishes came down to 1 last year!!! Of course as compared to the usual 10-15 dishes that true mallus usually prepare, this is but a drop in the ocean.
So this year, since I had an off and I made my husband also take an off - I was enthu - wanting to prepare the traditional mallu feast!!!
So I started on Saturday with one chutney like thing - husband spilled half the thing on the stove while cooking sunday dinner - and then I forgot to take it off the stove - so finally there was like some 2 teaspoons of the chutney there. This should have told me - something is not going right and I should stop.
But I never learn do I - So I prepared everything - thankfully not many incidents happened - it went off smoothly except for the kheer / payasam.. forgot that on the stove too.. all the milk evaporated and I was left with a congealed mass of sweet rice which hubby ate with great gusto!!!!!
I was totally exhausted at the end of it all!! And being in the kitchen for so long cooking everything- I felt everything tasted the same!!!!
So my menu for the day (besides rice)-
2) Beans toran - basically fried beans with coconut
3) Erissery - A very mild thick gravy made with red pumpkin and kidney beans / lobhiya (small ones) and coconut
4) Pachadi - Again mild thick gravy ; can be made using pumpkin or cucmber or carrot or beetroot etc..
5) Puli-inji - tamarind(puli) and ginger chutney
6) Lemon pickle - lemon and green chilly pickle (on monday tasted bitter, now tastes absolutey fine.. yum actually!!!)
7) Kheer / payasam - milk based
8) Can I say Papadam too and make it dish no 8?
Phew!!! Yes, thats a lot of stuff. No wonder am still tired.
But I am proud of myself - standing on my own 2 little feet!!!! A pat for myself on my back!!! :)