My parents were over.. the last few days.. dad makes this delicious tomato chutney cum pickle kind of a thing.. which i love.. i can positively have it with anything.. i was pestering him to make some for me this time again.. and then mom took over .. she wanted to make it for me.. but then i decided to learn it for myself.. i was especially motivated by the fact that unlike regular pickles.. this can be had almost instantaneously!!! So i told her to give me directions.. while i made the thing myself!!
1) Finely chop tomatoes (about 8-10 odd).
2) Heat oil in a pan (easily about 3 ladles.. more if you so feel when cooking)
3) Put a teaspoonful of mustard seeds, about 15-20 cloves of garlic chopped (you need to, rather your spouse / BF needs to live with your hand reeking of garlic), an inch of ginger chopped, about 2-3 green chillies (i used the big ones, so i assume 5-6 of small ones.. as per your palate), 6-7 curry leaves.. toss everything into the hot oil..
4) Once it browns a little (a little, not even a full minute, dont burn).. add the tomatoes and fry
5) Add a knob of tamarind.. cut / shred it as much as you can .. it will anyway dissolve mostly
6) Add salt (as per taste), red chilly powder (about 2-3 teaspoons, again as per taste)
7) Add a teaspoonful of powdered fenugreek seeds (sabut methi as we know it).. i crushed / ground it by hand.. using that thing.. that i am not able to remember the name of.. the hand powdering thing.. anyway, i am sure you know what i mean
8) Fry till tomatoes are done
Voila.. tomato chutney / pickle.. whatever you want to call it is ready!!! Besides normal food, it also tastes nice with mathri..
One more dish to add my culinary knowledge!!! :)