Monday, August 18, 2008

Who reads our blogs?

Do you all usually think before giving out your blog id to somebody? I have been thinking about it.. who should be reading my blogs.. And i came up with 2 sets of ppl -

1) basically friends / relatives (some in my age grp).. who i would wanna share my thoughts with...who would want to know me better.. discuss with me on various topics..

2) And people who do not know me (by name) because just the thought of sharing thoughts with ppl you do not know is heady...

But all this while, one thought used to pop up regularly in my mind.. should it be restricted entry.. should i give it out to only those ppl who i would wanna discuss / share such things with! I had put my blog address on orkut... but just for a day.. removed it quickly.. as i am not sure if i would want everyone to be reading it.. i mean , dont know why, but gives a strange feeling! I feel maybe .. just maybe .. everyone may not understand what i am talking bout.. I am writing about everyday things only.. but still.. For eg, you might know 10 ppl.. but you would talk bout some general things to 3 ppl, a little more (a little personal) to others, and still more personal to 2 ppl!! There is a big funnel at work here!!! There are some issues / topics that you would talk to an x type of ppl.. for whatever reason!!!

So, i have put my blog address on one site which i have just joined!! So not many ppl are listed as my frds there!!! Till now, all of you who read / mssg.. its good fun.. i am quite enjoying this banter.. I look forward to reading the comments everyday.. everyday the minute i reach home, the first thing i do is check comments and reply.. then read all your blogs.. and then put in my post!! Completely hooked on to it...

To come back to the topic at hand - but recently for the first time didnt give my blog address to someone (even though i did mention i blog) .. its strange but i didnt.. the thought was that the person doesnt blog.. will not be able to appreciate blogs in general.. may not enjoy it.. kya karna hai ..

Its very confusing.. at the end of the day a blog is meant for public consumption aint it? And continuing with the same thought why shouldnt we put our pics on the blog? I know Knife does!! Maybe becuase its a food blog.. and may not cause harm???? :-)

So what do you all do? Tell you frds / acquaintances / relatives etc that you blog? How do you screen ppl?

9 comments:

Psyched said...

Hmmm

Very thoughtful

the way out for me is... to have multiple blogs...

1) one for ppl with whom you want to share and

2)another for all the randomness in ur thoughts in your ideas, in your opinions... for the world to witness it through words

So u can choose to be selective and continue being anonymous for all the other readers

Moonshine said...

How do you get so much content????????????? To put 2 posts everyday??

Kalyan Karmakar said...

I guess a lot depends on what the blog is about.
Yours is in a way a bit of a personal diary. There I would probably want anonymity and disclose myself with discretion depending on the content.
My blog is very different. I love food and travel (yet to start that). And this is what people associate with me. I have often read reviews and thought I could do much better. And there are people I look up to such as Anthony Bourdain. So this is my attempt to be up there. So I generally don't have a problem sharing my identity.
And I love comments. From people I know...and strangers. That's the biggest high for me

Scarlett said...

Putting your blog ID on Orkut is generally a bad idea coz lots of creeps visit one's Orkut profile. You don't want all of them to visit your blogs & leave nasty comments. I'd put a feed of my blog onto Orkut (where my new entries were automatically also published on my Orkut page) but I deleted it promptly.

Scarlett said...

BTW...I'm so glad you're hooked to Orkut & I take full credit for it :))

Psyched said...

this ones to answer the content part...

Initial days of blogging does translate into a compulsive obsession/addiction ...

however couple of months down the lane, it becomes more of choice rather than of compulsion...

So there is never a dearth of contents... actually there is no need for you to search for content... you just write what you feel like and when you feel like...


Smiles

Moonshine said...

Anothony Bourdain shows are great... he has a restaurant in New York, doesnt he? Love watching his shows.. he does anything and everything.. and eats also the same way!!! Has he written a book too? Do let me know. Getting comments from strangers is fun.. but not known strange people!!!!!

And yes ma'am thanks for inspiring me, pushing me to blog!!! I wont let you down.. sob.. :-) I have many frds on orkut.. ppl who i have worked with in the past.. some acquaintances and all who i may not want to be a part of such discussions.. no harm in it.. but still.. like what you said scarlett, its creepy!!!

Even when you are obsessed about it, its still a choice you are making.. so even later it will be a matter of choice.. like i can write on one blog.. but writing on 2 blogs simultaneously..i dont know.. i would find it difficult!!

Scarlett said...

You're so smart Moonshine! I meant "hooked you onto blog" but I wrote "hooked you onto Orkut" & you figured out what I meant!! The concept of sharing your blogs with people is simple...you might be very good friends with some people but may not want to share your views/opinions with them...simply because they might not be able to understand/appreciate your PoV. You want to share your thoughts with a) people who are like-minded, and b) people who might have a different opinion but who are open & tolerant towards other people's opinions as well. There are very few known people I've given my blog ID to.

Kalyan Karmakar said...

@Moonshine: Tony Bourdain, Ian Wright and the other fantastic folks in Discover T&L are the inspiration behind my blog. They make food and travel programmes so interesting. Yes, he ran a restaurant called Le halles in NY. He in fact wrote two thrillers before he became a food writer. he has at least two books - No Reservations and Kitchen Confidential. My boss has an omnibus of the two. i have the latter.
@Scarlett: I am honoured... and you are right abpout the obsession bit. i write even when i have a back ache